Sunday, 21 July 2013

San Diego: Richard Walker's Pancake House

Apparently I have been bitten by the nostalgia bug, as here I am writing again about a restaurant I frequented during my 2012 San Diego trip. It's funny, because at that time, I didn't even know what the word nostalgia meant. You know when you see a word in a sentence that you don't quite know, you still have a rough idea of what it probably means based on the context. Thus you don't bother looking it up? Well, I do this all the time and I can't be the only one who does it. At least I know it now. As my friend always say:

"Everyday is a school day" ;)

Back to the original topic, this post is on Richard Walker's Pancake House. During my brief five-day trip to beautiful San Diego, my friend and I frequented two restaurants multiple times, Richard Walker's Pancake House was one, and Craft and Commerce (see post here) was the other. This is a very solid brunch restaurant, which is probably why there was a long line out the door both times that we visited. And mind you, neither day was on a weekend.

On our first visit, I had my brunch-usual, Eggs Benedict. It was... for lack of a better word, great. (Perhaps I don't have the adjective vocabulary that Gordon Ramsey possesses? I should try harder) The eggs were cooked perfectly and their hollandaise sauce was thick, creamy, rich and luscious. Really, the hollandaise sauce was the star of the dish. The Egg Bene was served with a side of hash brown, which was crispy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside.

Eggs Benedict
with hash brown



My friend had their specialty, Apple Pancake, which takes 20 minutes to prepare. It is apple slices baked in some type of batter, resulting in a heap of buttery, cinnamony, sugary mess that is incredibly indulgent. This is not your average brunch item, beware.

Apple Pancake
Fresh Granny Smith Apples and pure Saigon Cinnamon glaze






On our second visit, I got their Pigs in a New Car, which is sausage links rolled up in pancake. I also got a side of scrambled eggs to go with it, because a brunch without any eggs is simply sacrilege. Although the concept was good, this just wasn't my cup of tea. I thought the pancake was too thick and the meat-to-carb ratio was wrong, but the sausage was quite tasty.

Pigs in a New Car
Sausage links rolled up in pancakes. Sprinkled with powdered sugar, served with tropical sauce and whipped butter.


I thought I leave you with another picture of San Diego... Hypnotic, isn't it?

San Diego Convention Centre





Until next time,

A



Richard Walker's Pancake House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...