Sunday, 8 September 2013

Lee Restaurant

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Lee Restaurant located in King West, combined with the fact that I absolutely loved Chef Susur Lee on Top Chef Master (I still think he should have won), I was dying to visit this place.

My visit was not mind-blowing, but again, I really should stop expecting every restaurant to knock my socks off. We had a couple of drinks to start, where I had my favourite cocktail, a Caesar. For the non-Canadians reading this, a Caesar is just like a Bloody Mary, but it is made with Clamato (clam broth infused tomato juice) rather than tomato juice. It sounds somewhat off-putting, but it's fantastic, I promise. Lee's caesar was pretty solid, although not the best I've had in the city. We shared the crab cake and the Peking & Char Sui Duck. The crab cake was great, with big succulent chunks of crab meat. The Peking & Char Sui Duck is an interpretation of the classic Chinese Peking Duck. Although it was good in its own ways, I still prefer the classic Chinese version of this dish.

Peking & Char Sui Duck
29
Beijing duck garnish, steamed pancake, foie gras pâté



For desserts, we had their Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée and French & Chinese Tong Yuen. The crème brûlée was done very well, a solid dessert. The French & Chinese Tong Yuen brought back lots of memories for me. It reminded me of my early life, living in China, having tong yuens during special occasions. This dish was an inventive and creative spin on the traditional Chinese dish. 


Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée
12 
lemongrass, rhubarb & gooseberry compote, butterfly pastry




French & Chinese Tong Yuen
12 
warm sweet rice dumpling, chocolate nougat (contains nuts)


Although my first visit did not knock my socks off, I will try again in the future. My future to-try list:
  • Singaporean-style Slaw (Susur's famous dish)
  • Hunanese Lobster Ravioli (sounds like an interesting spin on ravioli, it's in XO sauce for goodness sakes)
  • Black Pepper Charred Tuna Sashimi & Spicy Tartare 
  • Top Chef Green Curry Chicken (I watched Susur win a Top Chef challenge with this dish. What more needs to be said?)

Also, sorry about the poor photos, it will get better... it will...


Until next time,

A

Likelihood of Returning* = 2/5

This is a predictor of how likely I will revisit this establishment in the future. My likelihood of returning is dependent upon various factors, such as my personal taste preference, my personal experience at the restaurant, my perception of the value provided by the restaurant, as well as other factors such as location (for example, on a TTC subway line), personal convenience, price and the preference of the friends whom I often dine with.


Lee Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...