Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Oliver & Bonacini Restaurants - Bannock

All I want nowadays is comfort food. I wish I can sit here and feed you lies...  

I eat comfort food once in a while, as a special treat only!

Did you call BS? Well, you know me well, Sir or Madam. When I heard about Bannock, whose theme is "Canadian comfort food", I had to go. Let's face it, did I really have a choice?

Bannock is one of the Oliver & Bonacini Restaurants. It is a combination of café with a grab-and-go counter and a sit-down restaurant. The menu is supposed to be "eclectic and approachably Canadian".

Bannock interior




Summer sangria
10
Peach Schnapps, fresh peach juice, Sprite


I was not a fan of the Bannock Caesar. I found it to be incredibly alcoholic tasting, and the extra dose of alcohol diluted the Clamato taste. Was it due to the addition of Canadian imperial Sherry? Isn't Caesar already Canadian enough on its own? Does it really need the Canadian imperial Sherry to up the Canadian factor? Can we not just stop at the vodka? Seriously.

So many questions... invoked by one drink. The bacon and salsa, however, was great. Well, it is bacon for goodness sakes, what can go wrong?

Bannock Caesar
9
Vodka, Canadian imperial Sherry, Clamato, salsa, maple bacon



Okay, please don't judge me when I tell you what I'm about to tell you. We ordered a pizza... a roast duck poutine pizza to be exact... I don't know what to say. It... was... surprisingly tasty. It was nice and savoury, especially the roast duck pieces. However, it is highly recommended that you share this with a friend, or two, or maybe a small village. It is enormous and dense. Sharing is caring and your stomach will thank you.


Roast duck poutine pizza
16
Curds, fries, duck
(my friend had specifically asked for a smaller version of their pizza to try, it is bigger in reality)


Atlantic haddock and shrimp cake + chips
16
with dill pickle tartar sauce


The sour cream donuts were beautifully presented, but I'm not much of a fan. I found it to be too dense for my liking. The S'More pie was quite good. When places offer a spin on the classic S'More, more often than not, it is a failure. Bannock's version was definitely a success. The brownie was rich and chocolaty, the burnt marshmallow was sweet and sticky... Bannock is making a S'More believer out of me.

Sour cream donuts
8



Warm S'Mores pie
9


I might have overdone it. I went to Bannock three times in the span of two weeks. I think I will take a hiatus. 

But hope you have a good trip. ;)


Until next time,

A

Likelihood of Returning* = 4/5

This is a predictor of how likely I will revisit this establishment in the future. My likelihood of returning is dependent upon various factors, such as my personal taste preference, my personal experience at the restaurant, my perception of the value provided by the restaurant, as well as other factors such as location (for example, on a TTC subway line), personal convenience, price and the preference of the friends whom I often dine with.

Bannock on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I walk by Bannock all the time and I have stopped in. But I've not eaten anything. Your pictures are fabulous and make me feel like I'm tasting without having the calories ;-) Cheers for that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Haha, you are right about the calories... imagine how many calories was in that duck poutine pizza?! :P Not good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...